Tuesday, August 31, 2010

No More Oil Changes by Walmart

So this past weekend I decided that I should change the oil on my Subaru. My last two oil changes were done by Walmart. Part of my reasoning is because of money. Walmart's oil changes have slowly creeped up to over $30.00. In the past they were $16.00, but that was when oil was cheaper too. I purchased a filter and oil form Walmart for $14.00 so I am already saving money. I got home and started changing my oil. I went to take the oil pan drain nut off and it wouldn't budge. I know what kind of torque it should take to remove this drain plug and this plug was on way too tight. I got the drain plug off and nothing was stripped, thank goodness. I started looking at the plug and the mounting face on the oil pan and they were caked with RTV sealant. Now I was pissed off, frickin' 16 year old Walmart oil change techs can't grasp the concept of what a clean sealing surface should be so instead they apply RTV and over torque my oil pan plug. I scrapped off all of the RTV from the plug mounting surface and the oil pan surface. It was amazing how easily everything sealed tight with minimal torque. I went to remove the oil filter and it twisted off with barely any effort which does not match the tightening procedure on the new oil filter. Never taking my car to them again for oil changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment