Monday, November 15, 2010

60 Degree Chevy V6 Build

When I originally got my S10 Blazer my first thought was to drop in a V8 and be done with it. However after doing some research on the Chevy 60 degree V6 engine, I am realizing that I can do something different and unique with the smaller motors that I have. I will also be able to easily keep my original transmissions and 4x4 drive train.

Here is what I have learned about my current engine:

  • 1984 2.8 block is bad news, it came with the small journal sizes on the motor so it has to go.
  • 1984 Cast Iron heads are bad news as well, the valves are the smallest diameter built.
  • The truck is non computerized carburetor with standard mechanical fuel pump.
  • The good news is that I can still use the timing cover, oil pan (maybe), intake manifold (for future project), and exhaust manifolds.
  • The non-computerized distributor is desirable so I am keeping it.
 Here is what I plan on doing with my new 3.1, 3100 engines:
  • I will be converting the FWD 3100 to RWD use. I am no expert but I will post my findings here. I have read about doing this online and there is minimal information out there but there are people doing it.
  • I will also try and run the engine with a distributor and carburetor and maintain the aluminum high flowing heads. There is almost zero information out there about this conversion but I will give a it a try.
  • I have already flipped the lower intake manifold for the 3100 and will adapt that to carburetor use.
  • I will reverse engineer the intake and 3D model it along with my choice of carb to design a usable set up.
  • I will have to modify the back intake runner to allow for distributor clearance.
3.1, 3100 Chevy V6 with reversed lower intake manifold

No comments:

Post a Comment