Monday, September 12, 2011

Craftsman Cordless 4.0v Lithium Ion Screwdriver, 1 Year Review

It has been almost one year since I posted my first review of the new Craftsman Cordless Screwdriver that I purchased and have been using. It is the 4.0v Lithium Ion Screwdriver, model #315.113980. It is now time to let you all know how it has been performing. First off I want to say that I am in no way being compensated by Sears or Craftsman for this article. First things first here are some pictures of what my drill looks like after one year.

4.0V Craftsman Cordless-1

4.0V Li-Ion Craftsman Drill
As you can see this little drill has some wear on the handle which means I used this drill a lot! The only time I used my bigger Craftsman cordless drills was when I needed a ton of torque or the 1/2" chuck. I probably used this drill 80% of the time instead of my larger drills. This drill packs a powerful punch in a small package and I love using it. It works great inside of a PC case as well as out in the yard driving screws into the fence. I used this cordless screwdriver as often as possible during the rebuild of our 1989 Skamper pop up camper, http://frugal-travels.blogspot.com/. This drill was great for installing the small cabinets back into the pop up where the full size drills didn't have the room. I do call my cordless screwdriver a drill because it offers two speeds 200rpm and 600rpm. 600 RPM is a little slow for some drilling jobs but it got the job done when I didn't want to go find a different drill. I really pushed the torque limits of this little drill as well. I have probably driven screws that were way too tough for it but the Li-Ion power pack pushes through slowly but surely. I actually thought one time that I broke it but it just popped out of gear into a neutral position until I pushed it back into gear. I am not sure if this was by design but I have not yet broken the gear box. The battery still holds one heck of a charge still. I often misplace the charger because I may not charge the drill for a month under light use. When pushing the drill hard the charge will last for one to two days which is unheard of with a Ni-Cad drill. I highly recommend this drill-driver to all people, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I also have one of the craftsman 4.0 drills. I am a sales person in Montana and I work for Sears and we haven't had any returns for warranty or because of workmanship issues yet. My story is a sad on I hate to say. My 4.0 v Lithium Ion after one year WILL NOT hold a charge
    I have lots of Lit ion products that hold a charge but not this one. I found your site while looking for a post before I crack the case on this little devil. I always know where my charger is. I need to recharge mine if I want to use it. Lucky for me it does charge pretty fast. I hope this gets posted with out having to join something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Sorry to hear about your 4.0 Craftsman drill. I just recently noticed that my charge is not lasting as long as it used to but after three years of heavy use I can understand. I really use my a lot on computer builds. It's light weight and easy quick change chuck is perfect for computers. I also really like the forward reverse action, very easy. I wonder if you just got a bad battery. Is it still under warranty?

      Delete