Saturday, February 9, 2013

How to Fix Raspberry Pi HDMi to DVI Issue

Hi All,

So I have been having some fun with my Raspberry Pi (RPi) lately. I've been doing a lot of hands-on learning with it which is exactly what it was designed for. My first real problem with my RPi was to get it to work on a DVI-D computer monitor. The RPi works great with a straight HDMI connection to my LCD TV but I don't think the family wants me hogging the only LCD TV we have in the house with my mini computer. I also got it to work on old RCA input tube TV's. I even got a little 7" LCD TFT screen from eBay to work with it although the resolution is pretty bad especially on the tube TV. My first extra purchase was a DVI-D to HDMI 3 foot cable. This would have hopefully converted my DVI-D signal from my DVI-D monitor (monitor must be DVI-D) to the HDMI input of the RPi. I got it for $3.88 from eBay with free shipping from Utah. When it arrived I was very excited for about 5 minutes until I realized it didn't work. I actually went to Walmart that night to look for a cheap HDMI TV so I could work on my RPi without squinting at an old TV screen. Since I'm on a tight budget I did not buy one. I went home and started doing more research on the HDMI to DVI-D thing and it looked like it have been an issue for lots of people. Luckily it was a really simple solution that I was able to fix by editing the config.txt file. Here are the commands I used to do this. I had to do this while using the RCA video outputs in a terminal window.

  • sudo nano /boot/config.txt
  • add the following line or remove block (hashtag, #): hdmi_force_hotplug=1
When you are done editing do the following:
  • press control & x
  • press y
  • press enter
 When you exiting the editor, restart your RPi using the following command
  • sudo reboot

Once my RPi rebooted, I removed the RCA input and plugged in the HDMI cable and to my joy it booted up to my 20" LCD PC monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment