Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rebuilding My Chevy 350 Engine - Initial Stage

I have begun collecting parts for the rebuild of my high nickel content early 70's Chevy 350 V8. It is a 1974 block and it is in good shape. I have been reading that the compression ratio of these engines is a very low 8:1 or 8.4:1. I am in the process of increasing that without having to switch to super octane gasoline. I know that I have to keep the CR in check. There is lots of information out there on the web but I made a great discovery that I have all of that information at my finger tips with David Vizard's book, "How to Rebuild your Small Block Chevy". I got my book used from Amazon for $13.00 shipped. Two great pieces of info that will already help me save a ton of money are the plans to make your own cam bearing installation tool. I could have figured this out but it is nice to have it already defined for you. It also has a great chart on calculating your compression ratio based on piston type and head CC size. I am going to go with some newer style 350 small chamber heads because they are in great shape and have a 64cc chamber. It looks like I need to switch to flat top pistons as well to get the compression ratio at 10.3:1. I lived at a high altitude as well and may need to adjust for that.
Chevy V8 64cc Chamber Head before it goes for Cleaning

No comments:

Post a Comment